How Do I Choose The Right Window Coverings For My Home?
Looking for window treatments that suit your personality, home design and specific requirement can be quite a daunting task, because of the many different types of blinds and shutters in Sydney, available to home owners. In addition to there being so many different types of window treatments, they also come in an array of materials, colours, styles and designs, that making a decision on what is best for you can be quite overwhelming. There is also the task of choosing the right vendor, because you need someone with the right amount of experience and expertise on the subject, and someone who will provide you with the best service and warranty after your purchase.
If you take curtains in Sydney, you will see that there are so many different types of fabric to choose from, so many colours and shades, do you go for plain colours or prints, what texture should you select, and what about the thickness of the fabric? It is the same with blinds and shutters as well, what kind of material should you select, what style, what design? The choices are endless, and sometimes you need professional help in selecting the right window coverings for your home.
What factors should you consider when choosing the right window treatments for your home?
- The architecture of your home – The size and shape of your windows, whether they are small or large, what kind of moulding surrounds them, if there are any odd shaped windows, and if the windows are architecturally matched in a room are factors you should consider when selecting the ideal window décor.
- Style – Consider what type of window treatments would best suit the windows you have. Are you going for an elegant, contemporary, chic, classical or boho look for your home? What kind of colours should you select? Should your window treatment be bold to add a splash brightness and colour to the room, or more sedate to tone down a colourful interior? The style you select should combine well with the rest of the interior.
- Purpose – What is the purpose of installing window blinds in the specific areas. Is it to control the light? Create more privacy for you and your family? For security reasons? Or purely for aesthetic purposes? Consider if you want insulation and noise cancelling properties, because if so, your choice of window treatment should differ.
- Budget – What kind of budget do you have to work with? Certain types of window treatment can be more expensive than others, but in the long term, may be much more cost effective due to their durability and energy saving factors.
Considering these factors, let’s see what different options are available in terms of window coverings for your home.
- Curtains and drapes – Curtains are a very popular type of window covering due to their great versatility. Whether you have small or large windows, whether you want to control the light or privacy, you can find curtains in Sydney to suit any kind of requirement. The type of fabric you select can satisfy your specific requirement, and curtains are certainly available in a wide range of fabrics, from sheer fabrics that will let in enough light into the room, to blackout fabrics that will completely block the sun. If you are looking for insulation and noise cancellation, then the thicker the fabric the better it would be. It is highly recommended that you make your curtains floor length (if they are large windows) and slightly wider than the window size so that it doesn’t allow for any gaps from any side where air can escape. Of course, beautifying your curtains is a cinch with a huge range of accessories to suit any style or design, from brass curtain rings and rods to silk sashes and ties.
- Blinds – There are so many different types of blinds available in the market to suit any kind of requirement and any budget. Blinds are also a very versatile type of window covering that is ideal for any room. If you are looking for greater insulation and noise cancellation, then your best choice is to go with Honeycomb Blinds, even though they may be slightly costlier than other types. If you are on a bit of a low budget, then you can choose from Roller Blinds, Vertical Blinds, Roman Blinds and Venetian Blinds, all of which provide great control of light and privacy while still creating the right aesthetics for your interior. For large windows, you can get the cheaper option of vertical blinds, or the slightly more expensive Panel Glides, both of which create a nice stylish ambience for the room, depending on your chosen colours and designs.
- Shutters – Shutters in Sydney are very popular because they offer a classic elegance when installed, and are very durable and long lasting. They also require very minimum maintenance and cleaning, and can even last a lifetime. Shutters can greatly enhance the value of your home, and give it an old-world charm and ambience. Prices of shutters in Sydney can be a bit on the high side, but overall, they are very cost effective because you won’t have to replace them for a number of years. These type of window treatments come in many different types of materials, such as natural timber, faux wood and even PVC. Since they are very versatile, you can use them for any room in the house, but remember that when installing them in wet areas like kitchens or bathrooms, you should go for a moisture-resistant material such as PVC.