How Are Blinds, Shades and Shutters Helpful for a Living Room?
The Living room; that all important area of your house, where your family spends most of their time together in, and where you entertain and welcome guests to your home. Being the most important part of a home, special care and attention should go into decorating your living room, to make it welcoming and attractive, as well as homely and comfortable. The room should reflect who you are and your personality, and enhance the best qualities of your family.
One very significant aspect of decorating any room right is in the window treatments you select. They can either enhance the entire room’s appearance, personality and ambiance, or simply make a room look uninviting. This is why it is important to select the right window treatments for the living room, when looking to buy blinds and shutters in Sydney.
When choosing the right window treatments for your living room, you need to keep a few things in mind, such as:
- What kind of style are you looking at – Are you looking to go all natural with some eco-friendly sustainable materials like bamboo etc, what colours are best suitable for your existing interior and what kind of patterns are best for your family’s personality.
- What kind of design do you prefer – What type of window treatment would best suit your specific requirement. Is it blinds or shutters or curtains, is wood the best material or fabric or PVC.
- What is the purpose for window coverings – Is it to control light or privacy, insulate the room, or purely for aesthetic purposes?
It is always good to consult a professional in blinds and shutters in Sydney before you decide what is best for you since they can help you with advice on what best suits your personal requirement.
Let’s see what type of window treatments are best suited for a living room.
- Curtains – Curtains can add a lot of style, colour and personality to a room and are ideal for the living room. The style of curtains you want will depend on your budget. Curtain panels are generally low cost, while drapes can cost you much more. Single panels are great for a smaller space, while double panels are better if it is a large window as it creates symmetry. Curtains in Sydney are available as either ready-made or custom made, depending on your window shape and size. The fabric that you select will determine the amount of light and privacy that you want in the room, sheer fabrics offer more light but if you want to create a darker atmosphere and block out the sun completely, then blackout fabric is best. The thicker your fabric for curtains the better insulation you can achieve, thus saving on energy bills as well. The best way to ensure that you get better insulation from your curtains is to make them floor length, and a little wider than the window so that all areas are covered and no air can leak out. Curtains can create a really comfortable atmosphere as is great at either toning down the colour and brightness of the room, or adding a splash of colour to it if the rest of the décor is a bit dull.
- Blinds – Blinds create a really great style sensation depending on the type of blinds that you select for the room. While many blinds are made of fabric, there are also other types of blinds which can be made of wood, faux wood and even PVC, not to mention sustainable materials such as bamboo. Blinds are a very versatile type of window treatment which will suit any room, and provide great control of light and privacy. They are pretty easy to operate, while you can also get them motorised, and getting them in any colour you like is simple. Most blinds, it must be remembered, won’t fit perfectly to the window frame, and hence will have a certain amount of air flow in or out, hence they are not very suitable for insulating purposes. If you are looking to insulate the living room to save on energy bills, then the best choice is to go for Honeycomb Blinds. Some other types of blinds that are most suited for the living room are:
- Roman Blinds
- Roller Blinds
- Venetian Blinds
- Vertical Blinds
- Shutters – Shutters in Sydney homes are also another popular choice because they offer classical elegance and an old-world charm to the aesthetics of the home. They are great for light and privacy control, and also provide better insulation than most other types of window treatments, as shutters can be made to fit exactly to the window frame allowing no room for air flow. Don’t forget that shutters can also increases the value of your home, and they tend to be a little more costly, even though overall they are very cost effective.
- Shades – Shades are also a great option for living room windows, and provide a contemporary design style and are great at keeping the hot sun out of a room with shades made from different materials such as UV protective materials. Shades can also come in many styles, colours and designs, making them a very versatile type of window treatment for any home.