Understanding the Importance of Restaurant Grease Trap Cleaning
The types of foods prepared by commercial kitchens or restaurants include a high amount of oil and grease substances. Which is why; the nature of wastewater produced by them will certainly include a substantial amount of runny wastes and grease. Now, if the owners or managers of these restaurants allow this kind of wastewater to freely pass through its kitchen sinks and dishwashers the sewer lines without being checked, the oil, and grease mixed with food remains would start accumulate within the sewer lines and will solidify as they become cool. Consequently, over time, this accumulation of FOGS (fat, oil, grease, and solids) will clog the drainage pipelines causing the backup of wastewater or sewer. This is obviously not a healthy experience for a restaurant and can make the business owner pay a high cost for it.
The function of a Grease Traps
Placed between and restaurant drainage system and sewer, a grease trap is primarily an especially engineered intercepting device used for trapping and storing the fat, oils and greases being flushed into it. With this, the grease interceptor tanks prevent the kitchen sewer lines from getting blogged. Once the wastewater enters into the tank, the solid substances will sink to its bottom due to its weight while the grease and oily parts become cool, solidify, and float to the upper part of the trap. The remaining wastewater is allowed to pass through draining pipelines, enters the sewer system, and finally drains out.
The Necessity of Restaurant Grease Trap Cleaning
Notably, while FOGs continue to gather inside the grease trap, they cannot store these wastes indefinitely and requires professionals specializing in restaurant grease trap cleaning services. But, how often you require cleaning the interceptor?
Well, here you need to follow the standard thumb rule that suggests you maintaining a scheduled frequency which guarantees the amount of FOG buildup in the tanks doesn’t exceed ¼th or 25% of its trapping capacity. In order to decide the cleaning schedule, your restaurant grease trap cleaning company is the ideal person to suggest you the frequency which needs to be followed with due diligence. The frequency is decided based on two parameters that are volume of grease produced by your food business and the grease trap (tank) size.
If remain untreated or not cleaned according to the schedule, once the interceptor misplaces its capacity to hold further grease, being left unrestrained, they happen to freely pass along with the waste stream. The remaining wastewater in the draining pipes containing grease gets cooled and starts accumulating within the inner walls of the pipelines and lead to blockage, stink, and sewer back-ups. To prevent this undesired situation, regular cleaning of the grease trap is a must.
Blocking of the restaurant drainage system is likely to invite a host of problems including
• Foul smelling due to decaying of FOG containing food leftovers, which is basically a food by-product. Initially, due to the proximity, the rotting smell starts releasing inside the kitchen causing the kitchen staff feeling sick.
• And thereafter, as air-borne, it spreads all over the dining hall, making your valued patrons to think twice before entering your bistro once again. Loss of reputation in the food business is extremely costly. With unsatisfied customers, its market buzz, with media exposure can make you out of the industry.
• It makes further restaurant grease trap cleaning process more complex as well as an emergency for your food business. Due to the complexity of pumping, you may require the suspension of your business operation for a few days.
• It happens to damage the steel inner walls of the grease trap by the creation of the damaging sulfuric acid due to the rotting of the combination of food remains with FOG. This may cause costly repair /replacement of the interceptor grease trap as well as its connected pipelines and plumbing system.
• A surprise inspection by food and municipal authorities at the setting can make you highly panelized in terms of fines, temporary suspension, as well as revocation of the operational license of your food business.
DraneRanger provides various liquid waste management solutions such as grease and lint trap cleaning, lift station and wet well cleaning, septic tank cleaning and maintenance, and vacuum truck services in Houston, Pearland, Alvin, and Sugar Land. To more know, visit http://draneranger.com/services/.