Multiple Sclerosis Therapeutics Market By Drug Class and By Mode of Administration
The global Multiple Sclerosis Therapeutics Market is expected to reach USD 24.8 billion by 2024 according to a new report by Grand View Research, Inc.
The presence of high unmet clinical needs in developing regions is one of the highest impact rendering drivers of the multiple sclerosis therapeutics market. Many organizations over the globe are actively involved in spreading awareness among people regarding progressive multiple sclerosis and the symptoms associated with it. Some notable examples include the National Multiple Sclerosis Society (NMSS) in the U.S., Multiple Sclerosis International Federation in Canada, European Multiple Sclerosis Platform (EMSP), and the Multiple Sclerosis Society (MSC).
Reimbursement programs are also anticipated to enhance the penetration of multiple sclerosis drugs. For instance, In June 2014, Biogen Idec Canada, announced that its TECFIDERA drug for the treatment of MS is available for reimbursement in British Colombia through B.C PharmaCare.
The introduction of novel therapeutics with minimal dosage requirement and cost-effectiveness is further expected to favor market growth. For, instance Lemtrada by Sanofi needs to be administered 3-5 times per year as compared to Copaxone, which requires daily administration.
To request a sample copy or view summary of this report, click the link below:
Further key findings from the study suggest:
- The dominant drug class segment in 2015 was immunomodulators. Avonex, Betaseron, Copaxone, and Rebif were the key drugs capturing over 75% of market share in 2015.The introduction of Tecifedra, an oral immunomodulatory drug in 2015 has been a major breakthrough in this segment.
- The declining revenue of Copaxone, Gilenya, Avonex, and Tysabri is forecasted by considering the factors such as limited usage rates of these drugs owing to the availability of highly potent FDA-approved oral drugs, Aubigio and Tecfidera
- Immunosuppressant,on the other hand, is expected to witness significant growth of over 18.0%. The presence of a strong drug pipeline and its expected commercialization in the coming six years are some factors expected to drive market growth
- In 2015, the injectable drugs market held the largest share owing to high prescription rates & price
- North America dominated the overall multiple sclerosis therapeutics market with revenue estimates at over 13.0 billion in 2015. The increasing prevalence of multiple sclerosis, the introduction of new drugs, and high prices of drugs, such as Tysabri and Aubagio in the U.S., are some factors responsible for its dominance.
- Major companies operating in this market are Biogen Idec, Teva Pharmaceuticals, Bayer Healthcare, Pfizer, Sanofi Aventis, Merck, Novartis, and AbbVie. Market players are upgrading the product portfolio by launching generic versions to sustain its market position. For instance, in 2015, Novartis launched a generic version of Copaxone named Glatopa in the U.S.
Grand View Research has segmented the multiple sclerosis therapeutics market on the basis of drug class, mode of administration, and region:
Multiple Sclerosis Therapeutics market drug class outlook, by revenue (USD Million, 2012 – 2024)
Multiple Sclerosis Therapeutics market mode of administration outlook, by revenue (USD Million, 2012 – 2024)
Multiple Sclerosis Therapeutics market regional outlook, by revenue (USD Million, 2012 – 2024)
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- South Africa