Dengue test – For Detecting Presence of Dengue Virus in the Body
Dengue fever is a mosquito-borne disease which is known to cause high fever, joint pain, strong nose and gum bleeds, and severe weakness in individuals infected. No such specific treatment prevails to treat dengue fever test effectively. However, its effects can be minimized by taking some over-the-counter pain relievers and drinking plenty of fluids to flush out the fever’s toxins. Dengue test ns1 antigen and blood test for dengue are two tests that aid in early detection of the disease.
Dengue fever is a kind of mosquito-borne disease that causes rashes, muscle and joint pain, and high fever amid individuals infected. The viruses that cause dengue fever belong the same class as those that are known to cause yellow fever and West Nile virus infection. A dengue fever test smartly helps in detecting the presence of dengue virus in the body and in defining specific medications which can assist in curing the condition.
Symptoms of Dengue Fever
Signs and symptoms of dengue fever start to appear approximately four to seven days post the initial infection. Most people who experience mild symptoms often misjudge them as those of flu or another infection. However, it’s best to get a dengue test done at the earliest to avoid it from becoming chronic in nature. Common signs and symptoms include:-
- Sudden or high fever which can go up to 106 degrees Fahrenheit
- Severe headache
- Febrile convulsions
- Swelling of the lymph glands
- Nose or gum bleeding
- Severe pain in the joints and the muscles
- Skin rashes which start to appear between post two and five days of initial fever
- Mild to severe nausea and vomiting spells
- Mild bruising on the skin
Dengue Tests and Diagnosis
Medical practitioners claim that detecting dengue fever is difficult as its signs and symptoms co-inside with those of many other diseases such as malaria, typhoid and leptospirosis. For this, a physician first examines the medical and travel history of the patient and then suggests a blood test for dengue or any other specific test that may aid in the diagnosis of the condition. Dengue test NS1 Antigen is the latest test introduced that allows rapid detection on the first day of the fever, even before the antibodies give a wake-up call. This dengue test cost is quite reasonable as well.
Treatment of Dengue Fever
No specific treatments are available for curing dengue fever. However, physicians suggest that an infected person must drink plenty of fluids to avoid the condition of dehydration from high fever and frequent vomits. There are some over-the-counter medicines which help in reducing fever, headaches and joint pains. Additionally, one must avoid pain relievers which are known to increase bleeding complications. These include aspirins, ibuprofen, and naproxen sodium.
In case of severe dengue fever,
- one must be admitted to a supportive care in a hospital
- be given intravenous fluid and electrolyte replacement
- be regularly monitored for high/low blood pressure
- undergo a transfusion to replace the lost blood.
Only a handful of individuals develop severe dengue fever, known as dengue hemorrhagic fever. Risk factors include:-
- the presence of antibodies against dengue virus from a previous infection
- if the infected person is under the age of 12
- if the infected person is a female
- in the case of a weak immune system
- A rare condition, it showcases the following signs and symptoms:-
- high fever
- damage to the lymphatic system
- damage to the blood vessels
- nose and gum bleeding
- enlargement of the liver
- failure of the circulatory system
In addition to these, dengue hemorrhagic fever can also trigger shock syndrome which can further cause excessive bleeding and even death of the person. In the case of a severe dengue fever, its best to go for a comprehensive dengue profile test and immediate treatment to minimize the chance of loss of life.
The author is a lab technician and works with one of the leading pathology chains of the nation. He likes to write blogs and articles on various medical topics such as dengue fever test, cardio-related issues and much more.