Check List to Consider Before Performing Security Testing
Security testing is an important part of software testing life cycle and its popularity is increasing day by day due to the advancement which is observable in the cyber crime era. Hackers are becoming more and more powerful day by day leading to the enhancement of the security level of the various apps and sites so that all the loopholes can be covered and the security system of the app is foolproof. As your client will be trusting you with their personal info, it is up to you to safeguard the same too.
- Is the privacy and the confidentiality of your customer protected?
- Does the software you are testing require user name and password for the purpose of logging in?
- Do the client and or the server have any kind of Digital Certificate for operating?
- Did you make sure to verify the beginning and end of the encryption?
- Multiple log-ins at the same time is available or not?
- Is lapse of session due to inactivity applicable to the software?
- Secure pages allow or deny bookmarking of the system?
- Is there a option for the display or the key on both the secure as well as insecure pages?
- Are viewing, right clicking and source enabled?
- Editing the content URL and searching them directly is available or not on the pages?
- Check whether the Digital Certificate which is being used on the page either on the client end or the server ends gets registered on the Cache or not? Security information of the Digital certificate can be crucial and it needs to get deleted from the Cache once you are leaving the application or backspacing from the same. This information should be checked properly.
- Are there any alternate methods to access a page which is secure if the SSL server is not accessible in versions of the app or the device?
- Is the log in and log out from the respective app known or unknown to the user accessing them?
- If there are multiple attempts of logging in to the app or site using misinformation, does the person gets locked out automatically?
- Know if there are user name required and how the system reacts to both valid and invalid usernames and passwords. How many times can a person attempt to log in before being locked? What other ways can the system are surpassed from not putting in the password?
- If the time period of a session expires, how does the system react? Does the user still have access to the site or is he locked out?
- Is the information of the log files traceable easily?
- Information integrity and encryption of files in SSL should be carefully tested for security purpose.
- Is scripting of the software accessible? Can the source code be edited without proper authorization?
- How does the various proxy security servers impact on the software and what is the outcome of the impact?
- Is the load balancing server well capable of transmission of information from one server to another when either one breaks down?
- Is the 128 bit Encryption which is being used, properly verified and tested?
These are some of the main points which should be considered before getting into security testing. These considerations will help you to design the plan of the security testing which will have maximum coverage as well as test the important criteria of the subject under consideration to provide your client with a superior product.
ZenQ has proven expertise in providing software security testing services.
About the Author
Are you looking for the best security testing company? Please get in touch with ZenQ immediately to hire security testing teams to support your business.